Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

My Hijab Story


Since this is my last guest post on HijabiTopia, I thought I'd share a personal story, my hijab story. I hope this helps or inspires some of you who are looking in to wearing hijab.

My love for hijab began at a very young age. Growing I would watch my mother put on the scarf and I thought she looked so beautiful with it. Ever since then I could not wait for the day I would begin my hijab journey.

Before I officially started to wear hijab, I would have "practice" days. I would wear my hijab to mosques or muslim gatherings, and get many compliments from other parents. My friends also influenced my decision. Elhamdulilah, Allah gave me many good friends who have encouraged me and even went through this journey with me. Having good and supportive friends really affects your decisions and behavior, which is why it is so important to choose good friends.

The summer before eight grade I officially decided to wear hijab. It wasn't hard because I spent that summer in Turkey, where there are many hijabis. The hard and scary part was wearing it to school. I went to a public school, and I knew I was going to be the only hijabi. On the first day of school I wore a blue tunic with a matching belt and scarf with jeans and flats. I had put a lot of thought into what I was going to wear because this was a new beginning and I wanted to make an impression. When I arrived at school, I was praying the whole time for nothing to go wrong. As I entered the building, my classmates had multiple reactions. Some people ignored me others just stared. I didn't get many questions on the first day, many interesting questions came later on.

For those of you wanting to wear hijab but just can't find the guts to do it, my advice is to begin by just practicing. Wear your hijab to places you feel comfortable. After you get use to it, it will be a lot easier inshAllah. Don't think too much about what people will think or say, think about the reward in the hereafter. 

May Allah help all of you who are beginning to wear hijab and give you confidence and self assurance. Leave a comment below if you have any question, and I will try my best to respond inshAllah!

Stay Modest, Stay Stylish!

Gusta Iren for HijabiTopia


Gusta Iren is a Turkish American high school junior. She enjoys reading, writing, photography, art and of course fashion! She enjoys sharing her passion for fashion on HijabiTopia.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Gusta,

    Thank you so much for your inspirational story. We hate to see you go, but we understand you are a busy student. However, we would love for you to contribute again in the future if you can make time.

    Best Wishes, and thank you for all the wonderful posts!!

    Elif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elif Abla,
    Thank you so much for the opportunity! I would love to guest post again sometime in the future inshAllah!
    AEO
    Gusta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story Gusta! I agree you did a fabulous job with your posts. InshAllah this is just the beginning of your very successful future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Aysenur! You're so sweet! See you soon inshAllah!

      Delete
  4. this was lovely mashallah I'm glad Allah SWT has blessed you with such Confidence!
    stop by my blog inshallah :)
    xx,Aqeelah

    ReplyDelete