Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Super Hijabi: Muna Abu-Sulayman


























"Fashion does not define me. I define fashion. I use it, utilize it to suit me and not the other way around..."

Muna Abu-Sulayman is a young, successfull, hard working and beautiful hijabi. She is widely known in the middle east for her TV shows, and for her international activism as a UN good will ambassador. These are not Muna's only accomplishments. She is also a mother of 2 girls.

I first found out about Muna through my sister Merve. Since there are a few hijabi role models in the world, it was nice to often see Muna's pictures along with my sister's pictures in the social media  CLICK

Muna and I had emailed each other back and forth, discussing fashion plans and exchanging information for a few years up until her latest visit to NYC a few weeks ago when I finally had the honor of meeting her face to face.

Muna was in New York attending several meetings as the UN good will ambassador. It was a beautiful experience to see an accomplished hijabi role model who radiates beauty and keen intelligence.





Nowadays, the media portrays such a negative and unreal image of hijabis, which makes it all the more necessary for Muslim women in the public eye to represent a true image to set the record straight. Muna is a great example of a Muslim entrepreneur, mother and designer leading the way in the executive world.


As most of you know, Muna also has a beautiful fashion line that is available for purchase through her facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Muna-AbuSulayman-Collection-2011/264366660244333

This is one of my favorite quotes from Muna. When asked about fashion in an interview here is what she says,

"Fashion does not define me. I define fashion. I use it, utilize it to suit me and not the other way around, but I can not deny that it was my fashion sense that first attracted viewers to my show"


Muna is on the cover page of Emel Magazine's June issue. You can read her inspirational interview by clicking the link below.



You can also follow Muna on her facebook fan page

http://www.facebook.com/Muna.Abusulayman.Page

and on twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/munaabusulayman

Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia

No comments:

Post a Comment