Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Vogue for Hijabis


Imagine walking in to your local Barnes&Noble and looking over at the magazine section. Imagine one magazine that stands out with a beautiful hijabi on the cover, on the same shelf as Vogue, Elle, Harper's Bazaar. It stands there daring to be different. Singled out amongst what is considered to be "the norm". It represents all the hijabis and is made for hijabis.



Imagine a Hijabi version of Anna Wintour. Well, a prettier, younger, and nicer version :-)


Imagine opening the first page to see the editor's letter and the picture of a beautiful hijabi wearing a fashionable scarf and brandname sunglasses, smiling back.



Guess what?!  Ladies who live in Turkey and Europe no longer have to imagine or dream about a magazine like this, because it is real.

Ala Life Style & Fashion Magazine, is the first Hijab Style magazine in Turkey. In their first issue, they had feautured our interview and our designs. As of the second issue, I've signed on as a writer :-) Our lovely team member Nicole Queen was also interviewed for their 3rd issue :-)


Many of you have probably read or seen copies of Hijab fashion magazines in other countries, however, we all know that most of the fashion pieces put together in those magazines are not items we would want to be caught dead in. I am not trying to critique or put down the magazines that are currently out there, what I am trying to say is when you compare them to Vogue, do you think they stand a chance?

The fact of the matter is, in the Muslim Fashion world, most hijabis would agree that Turkey is the leading country in terms of beautiful hijab styles.

Well, I've got wonderful news to share! When Ala magazine came out with its first issue, within the first four days of its shelf life, it beat Vogue, Marie-Claire, Elle and all the other number one fashion magazines in Turkey with sales reaching to number one seller!!

They are on their way to conquer the fashion world :-)

What I also love about this magazine is the fact that it is not just a fashion magazine but a lifestyle magazine for hijabis. They hold writing competitions and feauture the winner's essays in their magazine. The theme of the first competition was "Hijab is beautiful because...". On the cover of the issue it read "Hijab is beautiful because it's my way, it's my choice, it's my life, it's my truth, and it's my right!".

As I flipped through the pages, and read the final entries, I was in tears... It made me so proud to be a hijabi and inspired me even more to be the best that I can be!



We are currently working on a wonderful interview with the editor of Ala Magazine and one of their well known photographers.

Untill then, here is a clip from behind the scenes of one of their photoshoots. Enjoy!



You can also follow Ala Life Style Magazine on www.aladergi.com and on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/aladergisi

Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia

6 comments:

  1. waoo,,nice post,
    love you all hijabies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to reading about the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ladies are most welcome!

    We love you all too!!

    XOXOXO :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alhumduliallah,

    That is great!!! now more to go..I wiil add to my favorites. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I so wish I could subscribe to this in the states! We need a Hijab magazine here, I wish i could read turkish lol

    ReplyDelete