Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Update Time!



We've got some catching up to do. I feel like I haven't written a personal post in a while. I think Confessions of a Manhattan Hijabi was the last one. I didn't even get to finish that :-(. But soon inshallah.

SUMMER TIME

I hope all of you are doing wonderful. I personally can not wait for this summer. Summer is always really busy for all of us, HijabiTopia girls. The schools are out, and we tend to travel back and forth wherever home is :-).

Inshallah we will keep the blog going with lots of exciting posts. However, we may not post as often during the summer. If you're already subscribed to HijabiTopia then you should have no problems, you will receive the posts as soon as they are available online. It's that instant. And if you haven't subscribed yet, you may want to do so. That way you don't miss important posts that we have coming up.

Also, if you can't seem to get enough of the HijabiTopia girls (that seems to be the case since we're so much fun, LOL, :-) you can follow us on twitter. I share the funniest experiences of living in NYC and daily randomness that I run into.

Elif @hijabitopia
Nazreen @zsquared2
Nicole @queensofislam

WORK TIME

The last month has been fun and busy. I've been working on some summer collections that I have to design for my clients. It's been time consuming and a bit hectic. I like to put a lot of time and thought in to each design. Being the Type A personality that I am, sometimes it takes forever :-). But then there are times that I need it to be done asap, and will finish a product in 24 hours, buy the fabric and it's made and delivered to the client within a few days. That's when I get the adrenaline rush. I like what I do, because I get to design for high profile ladies who are in front of the public eye. They are all super hijabis who are out to accomplish their goals and dreams. It gives me great pleasure to have them wear my designs while all eyes are on them. :-). Fun, fun, fun!

PLAY TIME

With summer around the corner, and some TV interviews coming up, I wanted to take my workout up a notch so that I can do some shaping and shedding :-) since the camera adds 10 lbs :-@

I've joined a club in Manhattan and have been enjoying getting back in the shape that I used to be. My first day there, I was shocked at how out of shape I was. My legs felt like marshmallows. My whole life I've been really good about having a healthy figure and focusing on good posture but wow, 2 years of only running and I've lost touch of where all my muscles are. Shocking! I realized that if your work out does not include a concentration on different muscle groups, and weight lifting exercises then it's no use. But anyway, it actually only took a week, and I'm on top of my old routine and loving it.

I've been doing planks, squats, crunches, push ups, sit ups, you name it, I've done it. I guess it's been more work then play, but just completing a work out and immediately seeing results has been very rewarding.  I'll admit pilates and nia have been my favorite classes. Pilates is amazing for working out all the different muscle groups and gaining strength. Nia is one of the most fun exercises that combines breathing, dance and martial arts together. That sounds boring. Here is a better description, imagine doing tai chi to Michael Jackson, doing karate to country music, and tae kwon do to slow french music. Yup, it's so much fun! And I still haven't done the cardio kickboxing, zumba, or boot camp classes. Hollaaa!!!

My favorite aspect of a healthy work out is the high I get from knowing I take care of myself first. It's time away from the stress of work, time out from being a mom, it's all about ME, MYSELF, and I. Talk about being selfish :-)

Do you work out?  If so, what kind of work out routines do you enjoy?

For those of you who are debating working out, or joining a club, I say do it now, there is nothing or no one more important than YOU in your life!


XOXO

Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia

No comments:

Post a Comment