Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Destination: Maui



Growing up, I would always dream of traveling to a beautiful island with secluded beaches where I would essentially have the island to myself, thereby not having to worry about hijab when I swam. I guess because I was the first one in my family to wear hijab, I always felt self-conscious about it, even though it was my decision. I guess deep-down I always felt in some way, that as I grew older, hijab would limit me from doing things I used to love as a child, such as enjoying the beach. As I matured, however, I no longer felt that way, alhumdulillah.



I recently vacationed in Maui with my husband and 2 kids, ages 4 and 9 months. If you haven't been, I strongly recommend it. In fact, this was my second visit! Ever since my first visit 8 years ago, my husband and I compare every beach we visit to the beautiful beaches of Maui. The crystal-clear blue waters surrounded by the cloud-covered mountains and white sand beaches,among other things, are truly a sight to see.


We would wake up early each day and enjoy the first half of the day at the beach. Kaanapali beach in Maui is amazing! Not only is it a beautiful beach, but it is also quite secluded. I felt as though we had the beach to ourselves!


My burqini came in handy during this trip. Eight-years ago I didn't own a burqini, nor did I know of such an amazing piece of hijabi-friendly swimwear! Ladies, if you don't have one, let me just tell you, it is the one thing you cannot go to the beach without! Not only is it comfortable,stylish and slimming, it is also made with SPF material! Additionally, you can swim, snorkel, and boogie board in it with ease. And, people don't really stare at you that much in it. Are you sold yet? I hope I get commission out of this ad. Haha!


Boogie Boarding:

We didn't do much sightseeing this trip. With the kids enjoying the beach, sand and water so much, we decided to really make the most of just relaxing on the beach and spending quality time with them. We did, however, visit Mount Haleakala, which was once an active volcano, but is now a popular tourist destination for its breathtaking over-the-cloud views at sunrise and sunset. We were fortunate enough to be there at sunset. Notice how my scarf matches the sunset--that was all planned to show all you fashionistas how to plan your outfits to match your surroundings. Hehehe! Just kidding!


Mount Haleakala, just before sunset:




Just after sunset:



We had such an amazing time, that when it was time to leave we were all so sad. My four-year old son just wanted to live there. Ofcourse, all good things must come to an end. Here are some kodak moments I just had to include in this post. Enjoy:








Nazreen Hassan for HijabiTopia

5 comments:

  1. love, love, love! Great post and I love the sunset hijab ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your family vacation with us! It's very important for us not to feel that we have limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. Thank you both for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sunset hijab is to die for, wow. You have a gorgeous family, thank you for sharing such a happy time!

    I don't know how to email post suggestions, so I hope you don't mind if I just insert it here.
    I was wondering if Fatima (Elif's niece) could do a post on her fashion sense. Favorite stores, style influences, how she ties fashion in with her hijab. My friends and I who read this blog are close in age to her, so it would be lovely to hear her perspective. I wonder if this would be possible!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Zoya,

    Thanks for following HijabiTopia. We appreciate your comments and your input. I will definitely ask Fatima to share more about herself and her style. Just stay tuned :-)

    ReplyDelete