Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ramadan 2010


Ramadan is my favorite month of the year. The whole year it seems like I'm running around, rushing from one place to the next, getting stressed out just trying to make it each day.

In Ramadan I try to put my worldy life on hold as much as possible. It's the one month out of the year when I feel so peaceful, and at ease. I try to delay all  my appointments, and schedule my work and projects so that I can seize the month and enjoy the spiritual side of the month. 

This year, I feel like I was looking forward to Ramadan more than any other year.  Probably because I had such a stressful year of living in the city. It's hard to balance life and family. The last few months have especially worn me out physically and emotionally forcing me to simply hit the freeze button on my life. From the first day of Ramadan I have felt so content with my life.  I was no longer driving 70 miles per hour trying to get to my next destination.  I let life be, and let myself enjoy being closer to Allah.

There is this calmness that comes over me in Ramadan. All the little things I would stress about at other times, become so pointless. I'm a type A personality. Those of you who are like me will know how difficult it is to be a perfectionist. It feels like you can never reach your goals because you set them so high.

The other day I had to take my 4 year old someplace, and she insisted on picking her clothes as usual.  Normally I would make sure her top and bottom matched completely. This time I didn't bother, and it felt so good!

I feel like I have so much more time in Ramadan because I slow down my life. It's also ironic that not eating or drinking leaves me with more time. In a culture where cooking is all that we seem to do, I feel like I have all the time in the world when I'm not worrying about what to serve  for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

In our household we don't have guests over every single day. In Ramadan being able to make it to taraweeh everyday is a priority. Therefore, most of our friends know that we don't really like to go to iftar dinners, and if they are invited to our house, they know that we have to be out for taraweeh.

This allows us to really enjoy Ramadan fully. I think alot of times Ramadan in the Islamic culture ends  up being about non stop guests and 7 course meals. Which defeats the purpose.  Don't you think?

This Ramadan has felt so different for me. I feel like I'm going through a very big change in my life. Constantly thinking about what I can do to be a better Muslim. There is a feeling of content when you submit your life to Allah. Life just seems so easy. I wish I could be like this all the time. I wish this state of being would never end!

In the spirit of Ramadan, I would like to share with you one of my favorite songs. I listen to this song every time I drive. I think it's such a beautiful song that portrays the power of Islam..

Hope you enjoy it.

Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia

Nazeel Azami "Rahmanur Rahim"

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite nasheeds as well. Thanks for sharing your beautiful reflections. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Salwa, and welcome to HijabiTopia!

    ReplyDelete