Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Howdy Y'all?

For those of you who are not from the south, Texas is famous for it's southern accent and it's southern slang.
In Texas instead of saying "how are you all doing" we shorten it and say howdy y'all!

Here is a real life Hijabi Texan Cowgirl look...

 I combined my hat with my comfijab (Comfortable Hijab - a KAVAKCI COUTURE design) my striped shirt and my wide legged jeans. In this picture it was around 116 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and in that heat I can not handle wearing my cowboy boots. So I decided to ditch those and replace them with my more feminine brown leather platform peep-toe sandals that have flower decorations on them. It's fun to mix and match styles.  These sandals softened the masculine look of the hat.

Are you ready to try the Cowgirl Look? Here are some tips.

Pick a cowgirl hat that you like at one of your local stores and try it on.  If you don't have a comfijab like I do, here are some tricks to make your hat and scarf look like it's a one piece. 

1.) Choose a scarf that will complement your hat, and will blend in with your hat. Stick to solid colors, if you have a straw hat similar to the one pictured below, I would suggest choosing a white or off white scarf. It would help if your scarf is of thin material and has no patterns on it.

2.) If  you are wearing a square scarf that is folded into a triangle, I would pin it under the chin, and pull my scarf back on top, to reveal a little bit of hair. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to show some hair. LOL. When you push  your scarf back, it opens the side of your face, allowing your hat and scarf to look like it's one complete piece. Once you've pulled your scarf back, put on your hat pushing it down to comfortably sit on your head.

3.) If you have long hair, it always helps to tie your hair in a pony tail, or a braid in the back. This allows your hair to be pulled back, and when you place the hat over your pony tail it holds it firmly in place. If it feels too tight, then you can loosen or lower your pony tail and try it again. I think this is a key when wearing hats, that way your hat is not "gone with the wind" when the wind blows it.

4.) If you have a long square scarf, I would again tie it in a way that your hair in the front shows a little bit, and pull back the scarf from completely covering your cheeks. And apply the hat in the same manner.

5.) Once you've got your scarf and hat on, I would make sure the ends of my scarf are completely tucked in to my shirt, or in most cases, to my sleeveless, high neck tee.

6.) Stay away from the Shayla, or the Amira hijab styles when you wear a hat! Don't overcrowd your look, keep it clean and simple!

Any questions? Drop us a line and we will solve your fashion dilemma!






Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia

No comments:

Post a Comment