Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Barefoot in Bagdad by Manal Omar


If you haven't already heard, well-known Muslim Women's Activist, and journalist Manal Omar has recently published a book called Barefoot in Bagdad. I've ordered the book and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I can't wait to start reading it.


Manal has a special place in my heart. In May 02,1999 when my sister Merve Kavakci was prevented from taking her oath in the Turkish Parliament, Manal formed an organization named "Sisters United for Merve" and held hundreds of protests in Washington, D.C. I had talked with her over the phone and remained in contact through email. I could tell that she was a Super Hijabi by the way she fought for another sister whom she had never met.


Interestingly, with Allah's will, my sister ended up moving to Washington, D.C. Manal has been a close friend of hers ever since.


In May of 2010, just a few months ago, I met Manal Omar in person at my niece's graduation party in D.C. It was a wonderful experience to meet her in person, to see the powerful hijabi who doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk. A very inspiring personality, I'm looking forward to reading her memoirs of living in Baghdad.


Below is a clip of Manal on MSNBC's Morning Joe interview.  Barefoot in Bagdad is available on amazon.com, and barnesandnoble.com.




Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia

No comments:

Post a Comment